Wales Business Events today announced a five-point plan to accelerate its growing share of the global business events market. Unveiling an enhanced presence at the prestigious Meetings Show 2018, Visit Wales, the Tourism arm of the Welsh Government, confirmed a new approach and strategy to maximise the opportunities and strengths of the destination as a business events host.
The Business Events plan comprises:
- The appointment of Heledd Williams into the new position of Head of Business Events to co-ordinate and lead greater visibility in the business events market place. Heledd will also manage a raft of new industry initiatives, brand development and stakeholder engagement.
- A programme of attendance at national and international shows and events across the rest of the UK, Europe and North America.
- A co-ordinated approach to promoting Wales as a knowledge capital and matching business events with Wales’ economic sector strengths including manufacturing, life sciences, energy and technology.
- An education programme for partners throughout the country who are looking to engage in and support the fulfilment of Wales’ ambitions in capturing a greater share of the business events market.
- Maximising Wales’ reputation and pedigree as an events host following its successful recent hosting of global events such as the Volvo Ocean Race, UEFA Champions League Final, the NATO Summit, WOMEX and Bio Wales, one of the UK’s leading life sciences conferences.
Head of Events for Visit Wales, Heledd Williams, said: “There is no question that Wales has significant potential to draw further business events to our award-winning venues and destinations, both from within the UK and internationally. We are a country with a unique mix of breath-taking scenery, passionate culture and sustainably-produced food alongside burgeoning inward investment, research development and centres for innovation. An agile, innovative and connected destination with a truly global outlook.
“Combine this with our impeccable track record in hosting major events and it’s clear that we are fast becoming a world-recognised business events destination with a big future in this global industry.”
The Wales stand at this year’s Meetings Show (H300), held at London Olympia, includes a wide range of Welsh business events partners from all over the country: Bespoke Wales DMC; Call of the Wild; Cambria DMC; Cardiff Airport; Celtic Manor Resort; International Convention Centre Wales; Meet in Cardiff; The Vale Resort & Hensol Castle; and Venue Cymru.
Visit Wales and partners will be hosting a reception on stand H300 on Wednesday 27 June from 4-5.30pm providing an opportunity to sample Welsh drinks (including Penderyn whisky, Brecon Gin, and Welsh beers and ciders) as well as a selection of Welsh food (including Snowdownia Cheese, Jones crisps, Welsh fudge, crackers and chocolates) all served to the sounds of Wales from Bryn Terfel to the Stereophonics.